Search This Blog

Wednesday 21 October 2015

Psalm29-35 New American Bible

29)A psalm of David.

I
Give to the LORD, you sons of God,*
give to the LORD glory and might;
2
Give to the LORD the glory due his name.
Bow down before the LORD’s holy splendor!a
II
3
The voice of the LORD* is over the waters;
the God of glory thunders,
the LORD, over the mighty waters.
4
The voice of the LORD is power;
the voice of the LORD is splendor.b
5
The voice of the LORD cracks the cedars;
the LORD splinters the cedars of Lebanon,
6
Makes Lebanon leap like a calf,
and Sirion* like a young bull.
7
The voice of the LORD strikes with fiery flame;
8
the voice of the LORD shakes the desert;
the LORD shakes the desert of Kadesh.
9
*The voice of the LORD makes the deer dance
and strips the forests bare.
All in his Temple say, “Glory!”
III
10
The LORD sits enthroned above the flood!*c
The LORD reigns as king forever!
11
May the LORD give might to his people;*
may the LORD bless his people with peace!
30)A psalm. A song for the dedication of the Temple.* Of David.

I
2
I praise you, LORD, for you raised me up
and did not let my enemies rejoice over me.
3
O LORD, my God,
I cried out to you for help and you healed* me.
4
LORD, you brought my soul up from Sheol;
you let me live, from going down to the pit.*a
II
5
Sing praise to the LORD, you faithful;
give thanks to his holy memory.
6
For his anger lasts but a moment;
his favor a lifetime.
At dusk weeping comes for the night;
but at dawn there is rejoicing.
III
7
Complacent,* I once said,
“I shall never be shaken.”
8
LORD, you showed me favor,
established for me mountains of virtue.
But when you hid your face
I was struck with terror.b
9
To you, LORD, I cried out;
with the Lord I pleaded for mercy:
10
*“What gain is there from my lifeblood,
from my going down to the grave?
Does dust give you thanks
or declare your faithfulness?
11
Hear, O LORD, have mercy on me;
LORD, be my helper.”
IV
12
You changed my mourning into dancing;
you took off my sackcloth
and clothed me with gladness.c
13
So that my glory may praise you
and not be silent.
O LORD, my God,
forever will I give you thanks.
31)For the leader. A psalm of David.

I
2
In you, LORD, I take refuge;a
let me never be put to shame.
In your righteousness deliver me;
3
incline your ear to me;
make haste to rescue me!
Be my rock of refuge,
a stronghold to save me.
4
For you are my rock and my fortress;b
for your name’s sake lead me and guide me.
5
Free me from the net they have set for me,
for you are my refuge.
6
*Into your hands I commend my spirit;c
you will redeem me, LORD, God of truth.
7
You hate those who serve worthless idols,
but I trust in the LORD.
8
I will rejoice and be glad in your mercy,
once you have seen my misery,
[and] gotten to know the distress of my soul.d
9
You will not abandon me into enemy hands,
but will set my feet in a free and open space.
II
10
Be gracious to me, LORD, for I am in distress;
affliction is wearing down my eyes,
my throat and my insides.
11
My life is worn out by sorrow,
and my years by sighing.
My strength fails in my affliction;
my bones are wearing down.e
12
To all my foes I am a thing of scorn,
and especially to my neighbors
a horror to my friends.
When they see me in public,
they quickly shy away.f
13
I am forgotten, out of mind like the dead;
I am like a worn-out tool.*
14
I hear the whispers of the crowd;
terrors are all around me.*
They conspire together against me;
they plot to take my life.
15
But I trust in you, LORD;
I say, “You are my God.”g
16
My destiny is in your hands;
rescue me from my enemies,
from the hands of my pursuers.
17
Let your face shine on your servant;h
save me in your mercy.
18
Do not let me be put to shame,
for I have called to you, LORD.
Put the wicked to shame;
reduce them to silence in Sheol.
19
Strike dumb their lying lips,
which speak arrogantly against the righteous
in contempt and scorn.i
III
20
How great is your goodness, Lord,
stored up for those who fear you.
You display it for those who trust you,
in the sight of the children of Adam.
21
You hide them in the shelter of your presence,
safe from scheming enemies.
You conceal them in your tent,
away from the strife of tongues.j
22
Blessed be the LORD,
marvelously he showed to me
his mercy in a fortified city.
23
Though I had said in my alarm,
“I am cut off from your eyes.”k
Yet you heard my voice, my cry for mercy,
when I pleaded with you for help.
24
Love the LORD, all you who are faithful to him.
The LORD protects the loyal,
but repays the arrogant in full.
25
Be strong and take heart,
all who hope in the LORD.
32)Of David. A maskil.

I
Blessed is the one whose fault is removed,
whose sin is forgiven.
2
Blessed is the man to whom the LORD imputes no guilt,
in whose spirit is no deceit.
II
3
Because I kept silent,* my bones wasted away;
I groaned all day long.b
4
For day and night your hand was heavy upon me;
my strength withered as in dry summer heat.
Selah
5
Then I declared my sin to you;
my guilt I did not hide.c
I said, “I confess my transgression to the LORD,”
and you took away the guilt of my sin.
Selah
6
Therefore every loyal person should pray to you
in time of distress.
Though flood waters* threaten,
they will never reach him.d
7
You are my shelter; you guard me from distress;
with joyful shouts of deliverance you surround me.
Selah
III
8
I will instruct you and show you the way you should walk,
give you counsel with my eye upon you.
9
Do not be like a horse or mule, without understanding;
with bit and bridle their temper is curbed,
else they will not come to you.
IV
10
Many are the sorrows of the wicked one,
but mercy surrounds the one who trusts in the LORD.
11
Be glad in the LORD and rejoice, you righteous;
exult, all you upright of heart.
33)I
1
Rejoice, you righteous, in the LORD;
praise from the upright is fitting.a
2
Give thanks to the LORD on the harp;
on the ten-stringed lyre offer praise.b
3
Sing to him a new song;
skillfully play with joyful chant.
4
For the LORD’s word is upright;
all his works are trustworthy.
5
He loves justice and right.
The earth is full of the mercy of the LORD.c
II
6
By the LORD’s word the heavens were made;
by the breath of his mouth all their host.*d
7
*He gathered the waters of the sea as a mound;
he sets the deep into storage vaults.e
III
8
Let all the earth fear the LORD;
let all who dwell in the world show him reverence.
9
For he spoke, and it came to be,
commanded, and it stood in place.f
10
The LORD foils the plan of nations,
frustrates the designs of peoples.
11
But the plan of the LORD stands forever,
the designs of his heart through all generations.g
12
Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD,
the people chosen as his inheritance.h
IV
13
From heaven the LORD looks down
and observes the children of Adam,i
14
From his dwelling place he surveys
all who dwell on earth.
15
The One who fashioned together their hearts
is the One who knows all their works.
V
16
A king is not saved by a great army,
nor a warrior delivered by great strength.
17
Useless is the horse for safety;
despite its great strength, it cannot be saved.
18
Behold, the eye of the LORD is upon those who fear him,
upon those who count on his mercy,
19
To deliver their soul from death,
and to keep them alive through famine.
VI
20
Our soul waits for the LORD,
he is our help and shield.j
21
For in him our hearts rejoice;
in his holy name we trust.
22
May your mercy, LORD, be upon us;
as we put our hope in you.
34)Of David, when he feigned madness before Abimelech,* who drove him out and he went away.

I
2
I will bless the LORD at all times;
his praise shall be always in my mouth.a
3
My soul will glory in the LORD;
let the poor hear and be glad.
4
Magnify the LORD with me;
and let us exalt his name together.
II
5
I sought the LORD, and he answered me,
delivered me from all my fears.
6
Look to him and be radiant,
and your faces may not blush for shame.
7
This poor one cried out and the LORD heard,
and from all his distress he saved him.
8
The angel of the LORD encamps
around those who fear him, and he saves them.b
9
Taste and see that the LORD is good;
blessed is the stalwart one who takes refuge in him.c
10
Fear the LORD, you his holy ones;
nothing is lacking to those who fear him.d
11
The rich grow poor and go hungry,
but those who seek the LORD lack no good thing.
III
12
Come, children,* listen to me;e
I will teach you fear of the LORD.
13
Who is the man who delights in life,f
who loves to see the good days?
14
Keep your tongue from evil,
your lips from speaking lies.
15
Turn from evil and do good;g
seek peace and pursue it.
16
The eyes of the LORD are directed toward the righteoush
and his ears toward their cry.
17
The LORD’s face is against evildoers
to wipe out their memory from the earth.
18
The righteous cry out, the LORD hears
and he rescues them from all their afflictions.
19
The LORD is close to the brokenhearted,
saves those whose spirit is crushed.
20
Many are the troubles of the righteous,
but the LORD delivers him from them all.
21
He watches over all his bones;
not one of them shall be broken.i
22
Evil will slay the wicked;
those who hate the righteous are condemned.
23
The LORD is the redeemer of the souls of his servants;
and none are condemned who take refuge in him.
35)Of David.

I
*Oppose, O LORD, those who oppose me;
war upon those who make war upon me.
2
Take up the shield and buckler;
rise up in my defense.
3
Brandish lance and battle-ax
against my pursuers.
Say to my soul,
“I am your salvation.”
4
Let those who seek my life
be put to shame and disgrace.
Let those who plot evil against mea
be turned back and confounded.
5
Make them like chaff before the wind,b
with the angel of the LORD driving them on.
6
Make their way slippery and dark,
with the angel of the LORD pursuing them.
II
7
Without cause they set their snare for me;
without cause they dug a pit for me.
8
Let ruin overtake them unawares;
let the snare they have set catch them;
let them fall into the pit they have dug.c
9
Then I will rejoice in the LORD,
exult in God’s salvation.
10
My very bones shall say,
“O LORD, who is like you,d
Who rescue the afflicted from the powerful,
the afflicted and needy from the despoiler?”
III
11
Malicious witnesses rise up,
accuse me of things I do not know.
12
They repay me evil for good;
my soul is desolate.e
13
*Yet I, when they were ill, put on sackcloth,
afflicted myself with fasting,
sobbed my prayers upon my bosom.
14
I went about in grief as for my brother,
bent in mourning as for my mother.
15
Yet when I stumbled they gathered with glee,
gathered against me and I did not know it.
They slandered me without ceasing;
16
without respect they mocked me,
gnashed their teeth against me.
IV
17
O Lord, how long will you look on?
Restore my soul from their destruction,
my very life from lions!f
18
Then I will thank you in the great assembly;
I will praise you before the mighty throng.g
19
Do not let lying foes rejoice over me,
my undeserved enemies wink knowingly.h
20
They speak no words of peace,
but against the quiet in the land
they fashion deceitful speech.i
21
They open wide their mouths against me.
They say, “Aha! Good!
Our eyes have seen it!”j
22
You see this, LORD; do not be silent;k
Lord, do not withdraw from me.
23
Awake, be vigilant in my defense,
in my cause, my God and my Lord.
24
Defend me because you are just, LORD;
my God, do not let them rejoice over me.
25
Do not let them say in their hearts,
“Aha! Our soul!”*
Do not let them say,
“We have devoured that one!”
26
Put to shame and confound
all who relish my misfortune.
Clothe with shame and disgrace
those who lord it over me.
27
But let those who favor my just cause
shout for joy and be glad.
May they ever say, “Exalted be the LORD
who delights in the peace of his loyal servant.”
28
Then my tongue shall recount your justice,
declare your praise, all the day long.l

No comments:

Post a Comment